All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never prior to have numerous brand-new methods and clinical developments emerged in such a short duration of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless people the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and quick way to fix vision, however stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your results?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by fancy advertisements about a particular laser. Select the doctor, not the laser.
3. Pick a medical professional who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a physician does not know can harm you.
4. Request details on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, discover another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and insist that site that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware a fantastic read of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as great as a discount parachute.
Expect to see really well after LASIK, but don't expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely use better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting till the new lenses are offered. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the vision of countless people worldwide.